break one's back
我们知道,break这个词本身是“打碎”的意思,但break one's back,可不要直接理解作 打坏了某人的背,其实它是作为一种引申指“非常辛苦地工作”。
中文中我们用“鞠躬尽瘁”来表示某人勤勤恳恳,尽心竭力,奉献一切。这里的“鞠躬”就与break one's back异曲同工。(同break one's neck)
Idiom Scenario 1
习语使用场景1
A manager and team member are talking ...
经理和团队成员正在谈话…
Team Member: That's a really big project. When does it need to be finished?
这是一个非常大的项目。什么时候需要完成?
Manager: Don't break your neck on it. And don't let it interfere with your other work. It is just a pet project we are going to work on together.
不必急于完成它。别让它影响到你的其他工作。这只是我们要一起做的一个小项目。
Team Member: So, just work on it when there is nothing else to do?
所以,在没有其他事情可做的时候去做?
Manager: Exactly. It will get done when it gets done.
完全正确。该做的时候就会做的。
Idiom Scenario 2
习语使用场景2
Two friends are talking ...
两个朋友在聊天…
Friend 1: Where's your husband? Doesn't he usually watch the ball game on Saturday afternoons?
你丈夫在哪里?他不是通常在星期六下午看球赛吗
Friend 2: As you know, we are going to be hosting our daughter's wedding here in the backyard. Bill has been breaking his neck getting everything ready. He has been working at it every spare moment he has had. And I've been breaking my back getting the wedding dress sewn.
如你所知,我们将在后院举办我们女儿的婚礼。比尔一直在拼命准备一切。他一有空就做这件事。我一直在忙着缝婚纱。
Friend 1: I guess it is a lot of work?
我猜有很多事儿要干吧?
Friend 2: And with the wedding only a week away, we are going a little crazy.
再过一周就要结婚了,我们都有点疯了。
今天的内容都学会了么?
欢迎评论交流心得~
声明:本公众号所发布的内容,没有注明“原创”字样的,均来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权,请联系删除!
关注官方微博号获取更多留学资讯:@中公国际
内容来源网络,如有侵权,联系删除,本文地址:https://www.230890.com/zhan/118572.html